Monday, August 23, 2010

Five Days In.

I left you last as I was about to hit the gym for the first time!  EPIC!  This gym is huge, two floors of cardio and weight machines, including a separate huge gymnasium for basketball which has a 200m track running around the top, where the first floor would be!  I will include a picture as soon as I get one!  Hit it a bit too hard first time, tried rowing on the brand new concept2s but they are the ones on the slides and I don't know why but I was appalling on them!  I quickly resigned myself to the realms of the big men, the free weights room.  There are several gyms on the university campus, this one:
and two others.  The free weights we are able to use are in a room similar to this, but slightly smaller.  The guys that use this room are huge, some veins are as big as my fingers - I think steroid abuse is fairly common here in the states!  I went pretty hard on my first attempt and my chest has been crying ever since - I'm sure it will get over it!

On saturday night there was a "County Fair" type event for the twin towers that are Westfall and Durward halls, there included a rock painting stall - paint a rock that you can use as a doorstop.  We painted ours to look like our RA, Joe:
Joe is awesome, he's a journalism student and just turned 21.  It's weird out here because everyone seems a lot older than they are - Tommy and I are both older than many of the RA's here, Bri (from the floor above) has only just turned 20.  Perhaps drinking at a younger age keeps you young...  Bri was fairly angry at us for getting her with whipped cream pies at this county fair, I'm still finding bits of "revenge cream" in my ears and it's monday!  At about 9.30 we wandered down to the bus station to get a free bus to target - along with about a million other people it seemed.  Grant was there and we ended up not going but just laughing at everyone who was so eager to go.  We skipped it and wandered into town with Lindsey and Jasmine to a Hookah bar (shisha in England):
This was pretty cool, a very chilled out and relaxed place to go.  Not really a big fan on the Hookah - it just tasted a bit wrong - but you could have as much tea as you liked and the tea was goood!  Here we all got to know each other pretty well, I get the feeling that Lindsay and Jasmine will be pretty good friends here!  We got back at about half past one - Tommy returned about ten minutes later, and waking up the next morning I realised my jetlag has subsided, hello full nights sleep!

Yesterday I was invited to accompany Tommy in getting a T.V for our room! After wandering to Safeway to buy bits and bobs:
And this is where I'm living:

We were then off to Sam's club - basically a massive warehouse which you have to be a member to buy things from.  Tommy bought a 32 inch beast and I bought an xbox for the room, so roll on international CoD!  On the way back from dropping those at the room we stopped off at Horsetooth ridge, an amazing place!  Stunning canyon in the foothills of the rockies with an incredible view:
Then off to Tommy's for a wonderful meal cooked by his mum with his sister and brother in law.  Tommy only lives about ten minutes down the road and you can tell that his mum is more comfortable in being near to her boy because of it.  They are a wonderful family, much like my own, so I felt very at home.  We watched Avatar on bluray on their massive screen in their gorgeous home - mindblowing film and incredible quality in high def!  I took a photo of them so you can put faces to names!

The two dogs are still only puppies, Gretchen and Max, but her very lovable - I'm not a dog person but these guys were great, no barking or biting, just lots of licking!  They reminded me of me haha!  After the film we returned back to ColoState and set up the T.V and sat with Joe and Grant and watched 8Mile - man I love that film.  Sleep came quickly!

This morning I was up and about for breakfast and my first day of classes.  So far I have had 20th Century British Fiction and Ethnic Writing of the US.  Interesting so far, and this afternoon I have got American drama... actually, I have to go to that NOW!  So I must dash.  Been a homesick day today, but having had a chat with my special someone I feel somewhat brighter... weird how one person can so affect you.

Will update about classes in detail asap!

love to all reading
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment